Engineering Manager, Agile Coach, Scrum Master and Project/Program Manager at several San Francisco Bay/Silicon Valley area companies managing many projects involving: iOS and Android mobile application development, iOS mobile enterprise infrastructure, web services infrastructure software development and operations, Agile / Scrum coaching and mentoring, Agile Lifecycle Management (ALM) coaching and consulting, and much much more.
Independent Consultant – Agile Coach
Multiple Clients, San Jose, CA – 2018 – Present
- Coach teams to teach them and improve their understanding and use of the Scrum framework and Agile good practices.
- Designing and guiding the implementation of Agile and DevOps tools, and good tool practices with tools like Atlassian’s Jira and Microsoft’s Azure DevOps – formally known as Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS).
Senior Scrum Master, Agile Transformation & Coaching
Adobe, San Jose, CA – 2019
- Coached teams to teach them and improve their understanding of the Scrum framework and Agile good practices, to raise their Agile maturity level.
- Served as Scrum Master for several teams and programs. Responsible for leading all Scrum activities and evolving and innovating good practices.
- Coached and advised Engineering Managers and Product Managers to help them and their teams be more effective and productive.
Environment: Atlassian Jira, Confluence; Cloud; AWS
Senior Enterprise Agile Coach
Cox Automotive, CA – 2018
- Member of the over 100 person Agile Delivery team supporting Cox Automotive.
- Provide Agile Coaching supporting several business units in the Retail Automotive portfolio.
- Cox Automotive has more than 40,000 clients in 100+ countries around the world, and includes name brands such as Autotrader, Dealer.com, DealerTrack, Kelley Blue Book, Manheim, Xtime and many more.
- Cox Automotive is a division of Cox Enterprises with more than 55,000 employees and $20 billion in revenue, which also includes Cox Communications and Cox Media Group.
Environment: Rally; Java E;, .Net; AWS
Cloud Engineering, Global Program Manager, Agile Transformation & Coaching
Enterprise Software Product Dev (Ivanti – HEAT Software), CA – 2016 to 2018
- Planned & executed Agile transformation of processes and tooling for ~180 engineers and product managers on 4 continents.
- Organized 10 Scrum teams to focus on a new modern cloud software platform.
- Scaled the cloud software development program from 10 Scrums, to 18, then to 24 teams over 8 months.
- Drove the implementation of modern cloud software development technologies & techniques including Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD), DevOps, Test Driven Development (TDD), test/build/deployment automation, utilizing Microsoft’s Visual Studio Team Services suite of tools and Azure cloud services.
- Ivanti (formerly HEAT Software & LANDesk) is a developer of commercial enterprise software products for SaaS / Cloud and on premise use. My roles is a member of HEAT Software’s and then Ivanti Cloud’s Chief Product Officer’s (CPO) leadership team, reporting directly to the CPO.
- Managed enterprise scale Agile execution for HEAT Software and then Ivanti Cloud including: Implementing Scrum within teams, scaling Scrum across teams and product lines, Agile coaching across the enterprise, enterprise wide Agile metrics, transformation strategy, governance, etc.
Environment: Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), Azure DevOps; Java EE; .Net; AWS; Azure
Apple – Engineering Program Manager / Senior Scrum Master
Apple, CA – 2014 to 2015
- Drive software engineering programs to develop Apple software and on-line store services, that are delivered to customers all over the world via Apple’s Online Store (AOS) and retail stores.
- Very large scale Agile transformation in this 850+ person engineering group.
- Responsibilities for program management, Agile transformation strategy and implementation for over a dozen engineering teams and projects, Agile coaching, Scrum Master, training on Scrum and Jira Agile / Jira Software.
Environment: Massive scale Internet traffic & e-commerce 1,000s of servers, 100s of clusters, 3 massive data centers; Java EE; iOS; Atlassian Jira, Confluence
Agile Program Manager / Agile Coach / Senior Scrum Master
Utility (PG&E), CA – 2014
- Agile / Scrum transformation with teams developing mobile web applications.
- Responsibilities include: Developing Agile transformation strategy, Scrum Coach, Scrum Master, Jira Agile implementation design and management and Agile transformation guidance.
Agile Coach / Senior Scrum Master
e-Commerce Software Development Firm, CA – 2013 to 2014
- Managed many e-Commerce projects at national omni-channel retailers, including Macys.com and Kohls.com, involving:
iOS and Android mobile commerce application development, web services e-Commerce infrastructure software development.
- Agile / Scrum coaching and mentoring, Agile Lifecycle Management (ALM) coaching and consulting, designed Scrum implementation of Agile PM tool Mingle, and more.
Environment: Apple iOS; Android; Java EE; Mingle; Atlassian Jira, Confluence
Mobile Apple iOS – Agile Coach / Senior Scrum Master
Biotech Company (Genentech), CA – 2012
- Responsible for the project management of an enterprise software development project, developing an iOS app for iPad and iPhone providing HR functions. The iOS app accesses functionality in an SAP system via web services. The architecture of the system is based on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA). My responsibilities cover all aspects of the project including: iOS app development, middleware development utilizing an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), SAP web services and User eXperience (UX).
- Agile Scrum transformation: Responsible for the transition of the software development team from waterfall methods to Agile Scrum methods. Coached and guided the team through this challenging transformation.
- Responsible for the project management of an enterprise iOS infrastructure project supporting many models of iPhones and iPads running several major versions of iOS. My responsibilities include preparing the enterprise for iOS 6 managing a large and diverse team covering: Mobile Device Management (MDM), iOS app testing, security, operations and support.
Environment: Apple iOS, iPhone, iPad, Xcode; Atlassian Jira, Greenhopper, Confluence; iRise Studio, iRise Mobile; SAP; MobileIron
Senior Agile Project Manager / Senior Scrum Master
Atlassian Professional Services Firm, CA – 2011 to 2012
- Our firm worked with customers all over the world and in Silicon Valley, including some of the biggest names in technology including Apple, Adobe, Cisco, Intel, LinkedIn and Yahoo just to name a few.
- This professional services firm provides development, implementation, support and training services focused around products like Atlassian’s Jira and the Agile tool Greenhopper, Confluence and other Atlassian products and Zendesk.
- Responsible for the project management of multiple software development and consulting projects managing diverse teams of people with multiple cross team dependencies in several locations.
Environment: Java EE (Java Enterprise Edition); Tomcat web server; MySQL; Apache HTTP server; Atlassian Jira, Greenhopper, Confluence; Zendesk
Senior Project Manager
National Healthcare Provider (Kaiser), CA – 2010 to 2011
- Responsible for the project management of multiple projects managing diverse teams of people, both direct and indirect reports, with multiple cross team dependencies in many locations.
Projects at Kaiser
Electronic Payment System
- Responsible for managing the development and deployment of multiple software releases of this company’s Electronic Payment Switch (EPS) software.
- Electronic Payment Switch (EPS) is an extremely high volume mission critical system that processes millions of dollars of electronic payments every day for the nationwide healthcare system. EPS processes a peak of over a hundred payment transactions per second using credit cards, debit cards, healthcare cards, checks, etc.
- EPS is built using Java EE technologies and runs on a highly fault tolerant clustered infrastructure built to adhere to the strictest security standards in the healthcare and payment card industries, such as the PCI SSC Data Security Standards issued by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council (PCI SSC).
Environment: Java EE, WebSphere Application Server (WAS), Oracle 10, AIX (Unix), Apache HTTP server, F5 Networks BIG-IP (load balancing, clustering, etc.)
ICD-10 Implementation in a Data Warehouse
- Managed a data warehouse project implementing support for a healthcare diagnosis coding scheme known as International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision ( ICD-10 ).
IBM – Engineering Manager, Managing Consultant, Project Manager
IBM Global Business Services – 2006 to 2009
- My work in IBM’s Global Business Services division involved delivering project consulting services working with IBM clients to develop and implement strategies and technologies.
- As a Managing Consultant, I held a high position in this consulting organization that typically included responsibilities for managing projects, budgets, teams of people, collaborating with peers across divisions throughout the vast IBM company, managing client expectations and satisfaction, and working with people that ranged from top executives to junior developers and engineers.
Projects at IBM
University System, CA
Technical Project Manager and Team Leader
- Managed the technical team responsible for developing a data warehouse and business intelligence system to support Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) for the University’s Office of the President.
- Transitioned the project that started with waterfall methods and evolved it to Agile software development methods resulting in faster software development, higher quality and dramatic improvements in client satisfaction ratings.
- Generated over $2 million in new business through the development of Scope Of Work (SOW), Project Change Request (PCR), project plans and budget documentation.
- Responsible for recruiting and managing 14 architects, engineers and developers, as well as working with functional teammates developing business requirements.
- My team was responsible for creating technical documentation, hardware and software installation, development of an extensive Cognos reporting system, data warehouse and post deployment support.
- Implemented a Proof of Concept (PoC) and assisted the university in identifying the right tools and cost effective uses of those tools.
Environment: Java EE, Cognos 8 Business Intelligence (Report Studio, Query Studio, Framework Manager), DB2 Data Warehouse Edition, Tivoli LDAP Server, Windows Server, AIX (Unix), Cisco firewalls, Apache HTTP server, WebSphere Portal v6.x, VMware ESX, VMware Server
Cisco, San Jose, CA
Lead Portal Consultant
- Conducted requirements analysis and design of the LearningNetwork Portal.
- Developed Proof of Concept (PoC) recommendations, managed PoC technical issues and developed use case documentation.
Environment: Java EE, Confluence, IBM WebSphere Portal v6.x
Large Educational System, NYC
Project Manager and Senior Business Analyst
- Development project to build and deploy a large scale Portal based infrastructure throughout the NYC public education system.
- Managed a development team to develop custom code and implement a sophisticated web analytics infrastructure using WebTrends technology.
- Conducted complex business requirements analysis with the DOE in the areas of collaboration, knowledge management and administration.
- Worked on a Proof of Concept (PoC) of collaboration technologies including Lotus Quickr and Lotus Connections (Social Networking – Blogs, wikis, community tools, user profiling and other social networking tools).
Walt Disney Company, Hollywood, CA
Business Analyst and Senior Architect
- Phase 0 Discovery project for a Total Rewards Human Resources program.
- Our team developed the business strategy to begin the process of implementing this strategic HR system.
Verizon Wireless, NJ
Testing Manager and Lead Portal Consultant
- This HR Portal project involving migrating their HR web site to WebSphere Portal with Web Content Management (WCM) development and custom portlet development.
- This project improved employee services and the speed at which HR could deploy new content and capabilities.
- Responsible for discovering business requirements and translating them into functional and technical requirements.
- Worked with client executives and managers. Liaison between client and IBM team.
- Managed the testing of the development efforts of both on-shore and off-shore development teams.
- Architected technical solution to implement site and content taxonomy utilizing WCM and WebSphere Portal Search.
- Received extremely high marks for client satisfaction.
Engineering Manager, Software Engineer / Project Manager
Professional Services (Computer Generated Solutions), New York City, NY – 2005 to 2006
- Managed projects, conducted business strategy development, architected and implemented systems and developed software.
- On my project assignments I managed developers, engineers, designers and worked closely with client executives, managers and technical staff.
- My efforts involved working with large clients from New York City to Washington DC, in industries such as legal, health care, banking, government services and more.
Projects at CGS
International Law Firm, New York City, NY
Project Manager and Business Analyst
- Conducted a Business Value Assessment (BVA) for a portal implementation. Accelerated the development of the vision and business case for an employee portal.
Healthcare Services Provider, New York City, NY
Project Manager and Lead Developer
- Implemented a customer facing B2B and B2C Portal that provides online product delivery and customer support.
- Developed a Proof of Concept (PoC) and implemented a new web brand for this company’s new business venture.
International Law Firm, New York City, NY
Project Manager and Lead Developer
- Developed and implemented a web content management (WCM) system for an employee Portal. Reduced the time to publish new web content.
Environment: Java EE, IBM WebSphere Portal v5.x, IBM WebSphere Portal Search, DB2, Workplace Web Content Management, Windows Server
Professional Services Firm, New York City, NY
- Managed the implementation and development of portal and collaboration infrastructure to support our employees and to showcase the solutions we offered to our clients.
- Implemented blogs, wikis, web access to corporate email and calendaring, instant messaging, team collaboration spaces, web conferencing, enterprise search and more.
- Created a Proof of Concept (PoC) to showcase enterprise search solutions that involved WebSphere Portal Search, IBM OmniFind Enterprise Search, Lotus Domino Search and Google Enterprise Search.
Environment: Java EE, IBM WebSphere Portal v5.x, Mobile devices, IBM WebSphere Portal Search, IBM OmniFind Enterprise Search, Lotus Domino, Lotus Domino Search, Lotus QuickPlace, Lotus Sametime, Workplace Web Content Management, DB2, Windows Server
Engineering Manager, Software Engineer / Manager of Solutions Architecture
Professional Services (Distributed Systems Services), PA – 2003 to 2005
- Implemented portals and collaboration technology for many clients. Many projects involved custom software development and large enterprise deployments.
Projects at DSS
Pharmaceutical Company, CA
Lead Architect and Developer
- Architected and developed a Proof of Concept (PoC) that integrated Lotus Notes / Domino with SAP R/3 using the Lotus Connector for SAP. This solution was ultimately deployed into the production environment.
- Integration included synchronization of SAP Business Workflow with Lotus Notes mail.
- This very unique solution dramatically reduced implementation costs and increased the speed of deployment.
Environment: Lotus Domino, Lotus Notes, SAP R/3, Windows Server
Pharmaceutical Company, PA
Project Manager and Lead Architect
- Engineered and implemented a clustered architecture for collaboration system based on Lotus QuickPlace.
- Managed a Proof of Concept (PoC) of desktop video conferencing using Lotus Sametime.
Environment: Lotus QuickPlace, Lotus Domino Search, Lotus Sametime, Mobile devices, Windows Server
Technology Company, PA
- Engineered and implemented a portal and collaboration architecture based on WebSphere Portal, Lotus QuickPlace and Lotus Sametime.
Environment: Java EE, IBM WebSphere Portal v4.x, Lotus QuickPlace, Lotus Domino Search, Lotus Sametime, Windows Server
Software Engineer / Project Manager
Professional Services (Independent Consultant) – 2001 to 2003
- Worked on many projects that involved wireless mobile devices, portal, instant messaging, web conferencing and collaboration technologies.
- Developed a Proof of Concept (PoC) for a pharmaceutical company involving a clustering architecture for collaboration system based on Lotus QuickPlace. Also implemented a PoC involving mobile devices, portal and instant messaging technologies.
- Architected and implemented several large clustered implementations for clients.
- Responsible for product management and customer support for a commercial software package that is focused on professional services automation (PSA).
Engineering Manager, CEO & Founder
InterFusion (Software Development) – 1994 to 2000